Thursday, April 19, 2012

Trusting in God

I am reading from two books right now and interestingly enough, both of them speak of trust.  Let me share several excerpts with you from each book:


-- From One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp:


What is saving belief if it isn't the radical dare to wholly trust?  Belief is a verb, something you must do...The truth is that saving belief is the very real, every day action of trusting.  (She references James 2:19, which states "Even the demons believe" - belief alone is not enough, we are called to action.)


Are stress and worry evidences of a soul too lazy, too undisciplined, to keep gaze fixed on God?...Isn't joy worth the effort of trust?


This is the trust I lack: to know that if disaster strikes, He carries me even there...Trusting God is my most urgent need.


-- From The Circle Maker, by Mark Batterson:

Do you trust that God is for you even when He doesn't give you what you asked for?  Do you trust that He has reasons beyond your reason?  Do you trust that His plan is better than yours?

If you can trust God when the answer is no, you're likely to give Him praise when the answer is yes.

By definition, praying hard is praying when it's hard to pray.  And it's the hard times that teach us to pray hard.

I don't know what the outcome of our prayers will be; only God knows how He will act.  But no matter the outcome, I trust that God is always for us.  I trust that His plan is better than mine.  And I pray that His glory will be revealed throughout the entirety of this situation, drawing us closer to Him in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment